2008-07-22

Violinist Daishin Kashimoto, Maestro Chung to Take Stage

This is the 18th in a series of interviews with the next generation of classical musicians. ― ED.


A soaring number of Asian musicians can be spotted in major world orchestras, but only a handful of star soloists like Japanese violinist Midori shines through. The future seems bright, however, with the next generation of promising artists like pianist Kim Sun-wook, cellist Han-na Chang and violinist Daishin Kashimoto ― the latter being ``a jewel-like presence,'' according to music critic Lee Chang-song (Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra Magazine, September 2007).

Born in London in 1979, Kashimoto started playing the violin at age three. He entered the Juilliard School pre-college in New York as its youngest student (age seven) and continued his studies in Germany, where he is currently based. His accomplishments include winning, the youngest ever in history, of both the 1996 International Fritz Kreisler Violin Competition in Vienna and the Marguerite Long-Jacque Thibaud International Competition for Piano and Violin in Paris.

The 29-year-old appears in major concert venues with such conductors as Chung Myung-whun and Lorin Maazel and artists like Mischa Maisky and Yuri Bashmet. He revisits Korea July 29-30 to perform with the Asia Philharmonic Orchestra (APO). Joining him are Maestro Chung, as pianist, and esteemed Chinese cellist Wang Jian for Beethoven's Concerto for Violin, Cello and Piano in C Major, Op. 56.

The Korea Times conducted an email interview with Kashimoto to discuss his thoughts about music.

Q How did you fall in love with the violin?

A ``The reason why I started violin was because of my mother, a pianist. She gave me toys of various instruments when I was small and I chose a toy violin, as it was more fun for me to have things in both hands (bow in one and the instrument in another). My mother loves music and she went to concerts when she was pregnant. So, in a way, I was listening music from that time and unconsciously music has been a part of my life.''

Q What is music to you?

A ``Music is, for me, the only method to deliver all of the human emotions to others beyond differences of culture and languages. It is a precious way to communicate with people without words. Even with the same piece, every time I play the music, I cannot feel the same. Music is a living thing in a way and is essential for humanity.''

Q How does heritage affect your musicality, if any?

A ``I feel that Asian (musicians) have a sensitivity that is unique to Asian people, and I think that it reflects in the music we play. There are many musicians with great talent from Asian countries. This is already becoming recognized in Europe, and I think that people are now paying a lot of attention to Asian musicians. I believe that there will be a time when all this talent will become active on the international stage.''

Q: Welcome back to Korea. What is your impression of the audience here?

A ``I am always inspired by the great energy and power of the Korean people. I think that people in Korea are very passionate and the audience listens to music with great enthusiasm.''

Q The APO brings together top musicians from Asia and the Asian Diaspora. It must be exciting to play with the ensemble.

A ``It is the first time for me to perform with APO, but I have heard from friends it is an excellent orchestra, and that Maestro Chung has been working with them regularly. Therefore, I am very much looking forward to playing with them at the concerts. The most interesting thing for me is the fact that people from different countries in Asia with different backgrounds, education, language and culture are working together to make the music. It is, indeed, a wonderful idea.''

Q What is it like to collaborate with Maestro Chung again?

(photo with maestro Chung, Courtesy of Matthias Creutziger)

A ``I have had opportunities to work with him both at orchestral concerts and chamber music concerts. My recent CD released from Sony BMG was a live recording from a Brahms concert in Dresden (2006) with Staatskapelle Dresden under Maestro's baton. It had been a dream for me to record this repertoire with Maestro Chung. As a conductor, Maestro has incredible concentration.''

Q What are your future plans and dreams?

A ``Personally, I want to have a family someday. Whenever I meet with Maestro Chung, I realize how he is placing importance on his family. It seems to me that the family is a source of passion and a great support for Maestro. I am always touched by his (regard) for his family, and I want to be like him in the future.''

Tickets for the concert at Incheon Multiple Arts Complex, July 29, cost 30,000 won and 50,000 won. Tickets for the performance at Seoul Arts Center on the following night cost from 30,000 won to 100,000 won. Call (02) 518-7343.

After the concerts with APO, Kashimoto will appear at the Salon de Province Music Frestival in France and give a recital in Denmark. In October, the violinist will assume music directorship of a chamber music festival in Himeji, Japan. He hopes musicians from Korea will attend the festival.

No comments: